Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Frankly, I give a damn

As a child of the '80s, I was willingly fed a steady PBS diet of "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow" and "3-2-1 Contact." (What can I say? We didn't have cable most of those years. And I was a nerd. And still am.)

But my favorite PBS show of that era was "Square One TV," which featured not only the math-flavored "Saturday Night Live" skits for kids to open the show, but also the mathtastic "Dragnet" spoof "Mathnet," featuring Joe Howard as Officer George Frankly.

Well, 12 years after "Mathnet" went off the air, I found out through Internet Movie Database that Joe Howard was born in Yonkers, which is well within Suburbarazzi's coverage area. After some investigative work, I managed to track down Howard, who agreed to a Dec. 29 interview. He was very patient and thoughtful and offered comprehensive answers to my questions during the 36-minute, 38-second interview. What else would you expect from the man who wore a calculator holster?

Anywho, here are some interview highlights. Squaaaaaaaare ONE!

0 comments: