Tuesday, March 28, 2006

N.O. L.O.V.E.

Ashlee Simpson seems to be trying too hard not to rhyme in her Top 40 hit "L.O.V.E."

The first rhyme scheme is fine...

All my girls stand in a circle and clap your hands this is for you
Ups and downs highs and lows no matter what you see me through

... but then there's this odd half-rhyme pair:

My boyfriend he don't answer on the telephone
I don't even know where the hell he goes

With the same number of syllables, there could be a far superior rhyme, instead of a distant half-rhyme.

My boyfriend he don't answer on the telephone
I don't even know where the hell he's gone

Purely speculating, I believe those were the original words, but a hungover, cranky Ashlee in the studio demanded the songwriter to change those last two because she just didn't like them and/or couldn't sing them. And in the process, she passed the aggravation onto the listener.

I'm sure the 12-year-old girls who love the song don't care. But the sad part is, it's too catchy for me to ignore.

C.R., C.R., C.R., C.R.A.P.

0 comments: