Thursday, March 22, 2007

We'll miss you, Bud

Calvert DeForest, a.k.a. Larry "Bud" Melman from the Letterman shows on NBC and CBS, died Monday.

Saddest fact in this CNN story: "There will be no funeral service for DeForest, who left no survivors."

A quick story on the significance of DeForest in my humble life: When I was a high-schooler, I caught my first episode of "Late Night with David Letterman." All I can recall was a segment in which DeForest was chasing after a cheesecake that was dangling in front of him on a wire. As he crept across the stage, he kept repeating the phrase "Dave, I want the cheesecake!" and my friend Chris Tormey and I couldn't stop laughing at what we saw. I've been a Letterman fan ever since.

Remind me to pour out a 40 today in Bud's honor. Seemed like a nice man.

0 comments: