Friday, December 22, 2006

Now I got that feeling once again/I can't explain, you would not understand

"Hello, hello, hello, is there anybody [out] there?"

Now, I'm usually very harsh on musicians covering classics, but if you know what's good for you, you'll download Dar Williams' goosebumpy cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb."

Her track retains the integrity and soul of the original, but Williams is so smooth, expressive and clever with both the established vocals and her own original descants and harmonies. It's the best cover I've heard since Eva Cassidy's take on Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time."

My apologies for the late notice, as I heard the Williams version of the song for the first time just this week -- more than a full year after its Sept. 13, 2005 release date. But, wow, it was worth the wait I didn't even know I was waiting.

0 comments: