Saturday, January 26, 2008

Pharrell murders 'eligible bachelor'

Figuratively, of course. Don't sue.

With looped sounds of spray-paint cans in use and clucking tongues, Pharrell Williams' minimalist production for Snoop Dogg's "Drop It Like It's Hot" is innovative but always overshadowed by his inability to say the phrase "eligible bachelor." Instead, he opts for "el-jilb-ble bachelor."

Proof is at the 50-second mark of this video. (Note: Other lyrics, which are pronounced all too clearly, are not suitable for work.)



I picture Pharrell realizing the mistake and wanting to record another take, but Snoop cutting the studio session short so he could pick up where he left off with his knitting and Shakespeare anthology.

Why does this articulation -- and none of the other words that are moided in pop music -- crack me up four years after the song was released? Perhaps it's because it takes the time in between summer Olympiads for me to process benign rap lyrics.

(Photo: UPI)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has always been my favorite part of that song and when I point it out to people they look at me like I am crazy, they don't hear it. Thanks for confirming that I am not crazy.