Saturday, June 30, 2007

'1979' + 28

So a few minutes after my alarm goes off this morning, I hear a song that sounds like a cross between Queens of the Stone Age, the Darkness and Smashing Pumpkins.

Then I realize: Wow, not only is that Smashing Pumpkins' new song "Tarantula," but also it's so good that I don't have to pretend to like the band just because so many of my high school friends liked them at the time. (OK, so sometimes I was insecure in high school. Like you weren't?)

I actually never outright disliked Smashing Pumpkins; they have a few really good songs, especially "Zero," "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979." I just didn't think in 1994 that they were as great as everyone said they were. But even I appreciated Billy Corgan's first interaction with Homer Simpson, as the rocker's introduction left Homer "Smiling Politely."

Weirder still, earlier this morning, I randomly was thinking about forgotten Sesame Street character Grungetta, whose name was derived from the word Grunge. Did my subconscious will the Pumpkins onto my radio? Can I also summon hot girls my way if I just think about them?

(Thinking. Really, really thinking.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grungetta is still alive and well on Sesame Street. Her skits are among the funniest. Your godson thinks she's a hoot. Not to be confused with Hoots, the jazzy sax-playing owl from "Put Down the Ducky." I enjoy him, as well.