Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Philosophical profundities of 'Beavis and Butthead' summed up in a single quote

Quoth the Butthead: "They shouldn't give anyone a chance to suck."

I can't remember all the details of the context, but I do recall Butthead was -- big surprise -- annoyed at someone's suckitude in a music video.

Butthead's musings resulted in one of my favorite quotes of all time. And not in an ironic sense. In a totally legitimate one.

The moment had greater philosophical implications. In short: Sucking sucks. For you and everyone else. So don't do it.

Categorical imperative, my a**!

My junior-year college roommates and I had a quote board to which we'd add nuggets like these on a regular basis. Usually, it was reserved for things said by any one of us, but this one was so good, it had to make the board. It still resonates with me more than eight years later.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have my Beavis & Butthead trading cards. Love them.

They were on (forgive me) the MTV video awards a year or two ago, and they had a great exchange:

Beavis: We could be Emmy winners!
Butthead: Huh. You said "B.M."